Live Helper Chat support forum.. Forum is locked. New place for questions - Github Discussions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2014-01-27 06:01:49

David

just a few helpful tips for others

Hi, here is a good tip for you all folks, just remember that when you update you also need to make sure your custom folder stuff is updated as well.  And you want to be sure you dont lose your custom changes in the process.  Remember if there is an update especially to templates that you should update those files and replace your changes.
So here is what i do.   I have a text file in my custom folder, it has notes regarding my file changes and when i updated those files so i know if new tpl files come out that i need to update them.  I also know what changes i made so that i can redo that.  Yes i make notes in the files too but what if you replace them and forget, well then i rely on my notes.

Also i like to make two entries in the config of any software where i have to constantly change values when updating.  As a general example. 
Lets say that every time you update a software you have to change a value in config while your updating.
example:
$value = 'true';  //lets say you have to make this false every time you update then make it true again
what i do is this
$value = 'true';// $value = 'false'; 
and i always leave one commented out and then just change the // from one to the other.
Why?   First because how many times have you been in a hurry and did this  $value='treu';  only to have your script blow up on you and then you scratch your head wondering why.   Typos are easy to do for the best of us. So i lesson that risk by having two entries.  Its is much better to remember to type // or remove // than to take the chance of having a typo in a config.
So how does that apply to this software..
here is that section we change all the time in my settings.ini.php
      'debug_output' => false,
      'templatecache' => true,
      'templatecompile' => true,
      'modulecompile' => true,
    //  'templatecache' => false,
    //  'templatecompile' => false,
    //  'modulecompile' => false,
      'force_virtual_host' => false,
so now all i have to do when updating is just change where the slashes are and i dont have to worry about typo's or missing  quote or anything like that and then the false values are set..  Then when i am done, i put them back as they were so that the true values are valid.

Just a couple helpful tips smile

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … LkwZb4Egqw

#2 2014-01-27 06:06:13

David

Re: just a few helpful tips for others

just for clarity to others (cause you might get confused by what i wrote) 
when i update this script i do this

'debug_output' => false,
//     'templatecache' => true,
//     'templatecompile' => true,
//     'modulecompile' => true,
     'templatecache' => false,
    'templatecompile' => false,
    'modulecompile' => false,
      'force_virtual_host' => false,

when i am done i put it back like this

'debug_output' => false,
      'templatecache' => true,