Live Helper Chat support forum.. Forum is locked. New place for questions - Github Discussions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2019-02-23 16:22:43

rimelek
Website

Versioning and installation

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but I have been managing LHC for years at work and I am wondering if I am the only one who do not understand the concept of versioning.

I mean I always need to install a specific version that is possible referring to github tags. Version 3.21 was announced two weeks ago and there is no tag for it. The documentation mentions the master branch on GitHub, but that was updated 4 days ago. In fact, the same day when 3.21 was announced, 3.20 was released on GitHub. The day when 3.20 was announced in the forum, 3.19 was released on GitHub and so on.

I have to assume that the tags on GitHub used not to point to the actual version but somehow to close the previous version. This is not what the tags for.

I use Docker containers and created an image for LHC. Then I can see there is a new version and have no idea how to refer it. Can anyone explain it, please?

GitHub profiles - Personal | I.T. Sziget

#2 2019-02-23 16:28:42

PeopleInside
Administrator
Website

Re: Versioning and installation

Hi rimelek , welcome in the live helper chat forum!
About GitHub tag version you are not the only one that do this observation.

As here i am not the chat owner but i try to manage the forum and give basic help i forwarded your topic to the attention of the chat owner remdex.
He is busy, will maybe try to reply to you.

Thank you for your interest in live helper chat!
Have a great week end!

lol PeopleInside - Live helper chat - free limited forum support!
wink For commercial support or GitHub [see FAQ here]
ops If you want to support this open source project, just donate [see support page]
glasses Something wrong with the forum? [contact a superhero]

#3 2019-02-23 16:30:12

remdex
Administrator
Website

Hi,

Initially announced version is always current master branch. Once new version is released. Previous version is tagged. This way i can constantly improve current version just. I know it's non standard way. But for me it's easier just that way.

#4 2019-02-23 17:16:24

rimelek
Website

Hi PeopleInside and Remdex,

Thank you for your quick response!

Remdex, I understand you don't want to create a new tag for every small fix but now none of the tags are correct. It is not just about standard ways. It is misleading. If anyone wants to install a specific version he/she could read about it, decide which one is needed and yet install another version.

You can tag any commit at any time:

[== Undefined ==]
git tag <tagname> <commit>

So you shouldn't tag the first 3.21 as 3.20v.

Moreover, you could just tag 3.21 as 3.21v and say if we need always the latest version, use the master branch and in any other case download a tagged version. It would be the best. You could maintain the latest version as you do now and we would have the correct version numbers.

Please, just think about it smile

Thanks

Last edited by rimelek (2019-02-23 17:17:10)

#5 2019-02-23 18:36:59

remdex
Administrator
Website

Hi, thanks for idea. I’ll try to do taging changes tomorrow smile

#6 2019-02-24 00:39:09

rimelek
Website

Wow... You are really fast smile

Just to avoid misunderstanding: Do you mean you will create new tags or change existing tags? Because I would be happy to see tags pointing to the right versions but others would be rightfully angry if existing tags changed. New tags does not hurt anyone smile It could be "v$VERSION" using "v" as prefix instead of suffix. You can start with "v3.21" and leave the old versions as they are or you can write a script to create new tag for each tag created the old way. If you want to keep "v" as suffix it can complicate the solution,

I did not expect a perfect solution in one day. You may want to consider the consequences of the change.

#7 2019-02-24 11:57:49

remdex
Administrator
Website

Hi,

Small update I read once again what you wrote. I never tag 3.20v as 3.21v. Tagged version always matches changes from official website.
As soon i release 3.21v in github let say. I merge pull request which has DB changes. So 3.20 always refers to 3.20. And after pull request for new version is merged.
Workflow is like
1. Website tells there is new version 3.22 let say.
2. In github i release 3.21v.
3. After that i merge into master pull request which has 3.22 version changes. So tagged version 3.21 is always has changes mentioned in article + minor fixes (3.21 article announced changes). So tagged version is always stable.
4. Master now has changed for 3.22 but this version is not tagged untill new version comes out.

#8 2019-02-24 13:50:39

rimelek
Website

OK, it is quite confusing, I almost convinced you smile but I finally understand. If I want to install the announced version without the small fixes, I need to find the next commit after the latest tagged commit. A little odd, but I can live with that.

Thank you for your explanation and your work.

Board footer